In the 1913 Toronto Directory he is listed twice, once at 257-259 Yonge Street and 415 1/2 Yonge Street. I'm not sure which address is his business.
I also found an Edward J. Meehan in the directory, living at 191 Avenue Road. He is listed as a salesman for the Meehan & Co. men's clothing store. At this point I thought I had found a match to my Meehan family starting with great-great grandfather Patrick Meehan (1806-1886), born in Donegal Ireland.
The directory also listed several other Meehans living at 191 Avenue Road: Mary ( widow of Francis), Mary and Frank J. This information started me on a search for this family, hoping that there was a relationship.
Here's what I found from the 1901 Census, Toronto City, Ward 3:
- Francis Meehan, born Ontario abt 1855, occupation Motorman
- Mary Elizabeth McGuiness, wife, born Ontario abt 1858
- Edward John Meehan, son, born Ontario abt 1889
- Ann Mary Meehan, daughter, born Ontario abt 1891
- Frank Joseph Meehan, son, born Ontario abt 1893
- Mary Meehan, daughter, born Ontario abt 1895
- Teresa Meehan, daughter, born Ontario abt 1897
- Helen Meehan, daughter, born Ontario abt 1901
Alas, I didn't find any connection. However, Edward and Frank are about the same age as my grandfather George. Could he have hired family members to work at his store? I know that my father worked in his father's store in the late 1930's. Perhaps Edward and Frank are cousins. It seems too much of a coincidence that they would have the same surname and not be related.
My research came to a stand-still at Dennis Meehan. For now they will remain the "other" Meehan family.